Happy National Pet Day! National Pet Day was founded in 2006 by Animal Welfare Advocate Colleen Paige, to celebrate the joy pets bring to our lives and to create public awareness about the plight of many different kinds of animals awaiting a forever home in shelters and rescues around the world. The animal welfare cause put forth by Colleen is truly awe-inspiring and us here at Modern Pet Living would like to take the time to celebrate and inspire.
So in honor of National Pet Day we'll be sharing our Top Five Pet Quotes as well as other ways to get involved on this magnificent day.
-Modern Pet Living's Top Five Pet Quotes-
1. “Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and they spend most of it waiting for us to come home each day.
It is amazing how much love and laughter they bring into our lives and even how much closer we become with each other because of them.” - John Grogan
2. "Pets reflect you like mirrors. When you are happy, you can see your dog smiling and when you are sad, your cat cries.” - Munia Khan
3. “Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.” - Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette
4. “Sometimes, your pet picks you.” - Julie Wenzel
5. "Your pet is not your friend. It is your hostage.” - Scott Dikkers
-Celebrate National Pet Day-
Inspired? To further celebrate National Pet Day we recommend the following actions:
- #adoptdontshop! Adopt a pet from your local shelter or a local pure breed rescue organization.
- Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to care for the animals of the shelter.
- Donate blankets, high quality food and toys to a favorite animal welfare organization.
- Organize a peaceful demonstration in front of your community pet store that sells pets from puppy or kitten mills.
- Have a Happy National Pet Day and celebrate all of your pets and make sure to treat them to the best!